Encouragement

This may be the most important page to my family and I.  The tremendous out pour of support, love, prayers, and thoughts have been overwhelming and very humbling.  I urge you to express your thoughts to me on this page.  It doesn’t have to be about my situation.  I want you to share your lives, your dreams, your fears, and your joys here.

I have learned throughout my life to not hesitate in expressing myself.  What you post here may make my day so much better.  It might be exactly what I needed to hear!  On the other hand, what you post may have a significant impact on another reader.

The power of words and expressing yourself are profound.  If you feel compelled, please share with us.  Thank you for all you do in this life, for my family, for me.  We love you all!

97 Responses to Encouragement

1. Stefanie says:

Thank you for that Ryan. Your words really help put things into perspective for the rest of us. We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

2. Joseph David says:

Ryan:

At a time like this I am reminded of the words of Henry Ward Beecher:

Affliction comes to all not to make us sad, but sober; not to make us sorry, but wise, not to make us despondent, but its darkness to refresh us, as the night refreshes the day; not to impoverish, but to enrich us, as the plow enriches the field; to multiply our joy, as the seed, by planting, is multiplied a thousandfold.

3. Lauren says:

Ryan,

Your positive attitude is inspirational and I hope contagious to everyone! Please stay strong. I was thinking of what to post as encouragement and remembered the “Last Lecture” from Randy Pausch. You are very similar in how you share your knowledge with the people you love. He had a list of what to practice everyday in which I can tell you already do. (Posted below)

Thank you for enriching my life and I’m sure everyone around you. Prayers to you and your beautiful family!

PERSONALITY
    1. Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
    2. Don’t overdo; keep your limits
    3. Don’t have negative thoughts of things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment
    4. Don’t take yourself so seriously; no one else does
    5. Dream more while you are awake
    6. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
    7. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip
    8. Forget issues of the past. Don’t remind your partner of his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
    9. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don’t hate others.
    10. Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present
    11. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
    12. Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
    13. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
    14. Smile and laugh more
    15. Don’t complain; just work harder.
    COMMUNITY
    16. Call your family often.
    17. Forgive everyone for everything.
    18. Each day give something good to others.
    19. What other people think of you is none of your business.
    20. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
    21. Your job will not take care of you when you are sick. Your family and friends will. Stay in touch.
    22. Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other.
    LIFE
    23. Put GOD first in anything and everything that you think, say and do.
    24. Do the right thing.
    25. GOD heals everything.
    26. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
    27. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
    28. The best is yet to come.
    29. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
    30. When you awake alive in the morning, thank GOD for it.
    31. If you know GOD, you will always be happy. So, be happy.

4. Jack Taylor says:

Ryan,
    I am Betsy Taylor’s dad and she let me know today about your fight with cancer. I am so glad to hear that you have a strong faith and family and we will be praying for your cure and the birth of your new son. I want to thank you for all of the help you gave to Betsy while she was in flight school and working at the airport in Kalamazoo. May God Bless.

5. Tara Keyes says:

Ryan,
    You don’t know me but you do know my mom, Shirley Keyes. She told me about you and your family some and shared one of your facebook posts with me. It broke my heart for you and your family. I cannot imagine enduring what you are going through. You, your wife and your precious boys are in my thoughts and prayers. Your story is actuallly inspirational to me. I thought you should know this. I have had some things that I have considered to be hardships lately in my life, but I sat and reflected on things last night after my mom shared your story with me before she went to visit you. These things I am dealing with are just little bumps in the road. I have the utmost respect for you and your amazing wife on your test of life. I am so sad that people who are genuinely good and pure of heart endure things beyond thier control. I just truly am amazed by you and your family. I just really thought you should know you are all in my thoughts everyday now and my prayers (even though my mom probably thinks I don’t pray – I do). And that I have re-thought my own life and way of thinking and will strive to be more positive even through the bad times. Hugs to you all! Thank you for your time reading this
    ~Tara Keyes~

6. Daddy Dave says:

Son, I have always known you to be stubborn and determined in every endeavor you chose to tackle in life.
    I know you did not choose this challenge, but I am confident that you will tackle this disease with the same determination.
    You are a fighter and not a quitter, and I love and admire you for it.
    Andrea…..you are one tough strong woman….Ryan made the right choice when he married you honey.
    Stay strong both of you.
    Love to all,
    Daddy Dave

7. Grandma & Grandpa Davis says:

Dear Ryan,

We are praying that God will heal you! You have so many people praying for you. Our Fellowship Group will be lifting you up in prayer today. We are also praying for a safe delivery for you Andrea and a healthy new son. Keep looking to God for his peace and help during this trial. We love you!

8. Kathy says:

Ryan, You are a amazing Guy, with an amazing wife. My prayers are with you and your family each day. When people ask me about the white band on my wrist, I tell them about you, and your family, what great people you are and I ask them to pray for all of you. With Love Kathy

9. Patrice Rener says:

Dear Ryan,

I am struggling with my words as I sit here in a deep, heartfelt thought of what you, Andrea and your entire family are enduring at this time in your life. It hits so close to home when I click through your site reading and looking at all the pictures that speak volumes. I can feel your strength, courage, determination and faith just by looking at your pictures. You are a TRUE inspiration and a very special human being. I had a page similar to this one for my kidney transplant I had 3 years ago out of state, of which my husband was my donor. These types of websites are priceless…not only for us who are praying and rooting for you.. but also for YOU and I as well….who found out how powerful the website is for those of us who have had to fight our fight. You are now doing just that and I pray Ryan, that you find the comfort, the strength, the motivation, the LOVE and the support from doing this website through your journey. Be assured that you are not walking alone…you will never walk alone! All of us out here are reading, praying, feeling, loving, caring, supporting and fighting right along with you and your family. Know that many of us cannot completely relate to what you are feeling and going through… so to say I “know” what you’re going through… would be unfair because I only know what my journey brought me….but I do want you to know that however difficult a day might be or a night may go….there is absolutely no doubt at all that all of us people that are pulling for you and have a tremendous amount of love to share with you…surrounds you every second. You have a strong family whom I’ve known almost my whole life…and whom I love dearly. I want nothing more than for you, Andrea and those two precious boys to be given all that you need to make a full recovery. God has you Ryan…..he is right there with you helping your every step of the way. Let him take over completely for you and help ease this burden. He has you Ryan…God will take care of this with you. May God Bless you and your family each and everyday. My love, prayers and support are with you. You’re loved by so many!

Love and Blessings,

Patrice (King) Rener

10. Kristin Mearini says:

Hey Ryan! I won’t be able to see you guys during this visit to Michigan, but when I come back in July, I am so pumped to see you guys and meet the newest awesome Humphrey. Thinking of you guys constantly… Ryan and Jerry will be visiting you soon. Watch out! :)
    Kristin

11. Renee Levasseur says:

I pray today went well for you and your family. God Bless You and give your family the strength to get through this. God is our strength and refuge in times of trouble.

12. Rachel Peters says:

Ryan and family,

I’m Lisa’s cousin Rachel, I pray for you and your family. Stay strong, this is a battle you’re going to win.. you have a long, happy, healthy life to live, with your beautiful wife and those beautiful boys, this is just a bump in the road and I have faith you will overcome this. Stay strong and God Bless <3

13. Stacy Schneider says:

Ryan, Andrea, Landon, and Logan,
    I pray for each of your every day. I enjoy reading your posts on this site and on Andrea’s baby blog. I know what a strong, wonderful person Andrea is (we graduated from HS together) and I know what a loving support system you have. I will continue to pray for comfort, peace and healing.

Many blessings to you all :o)

14. Julie Fuhrer says:

Dear Ryan and Family,
    I am a friend of your dear sister, Nicole. You will be in my daily prayers and I will ask the Lord to bless us with your full recovery. You have such a beautiful family, I will also pray you get all the help you need. Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Sincerely,
    Julie Fuhrer

15. Beth Overton says:

Dear Ryan and family,

I want you to know that I am joining with your family and loved ones in prayer for you. I know you don’t know me. I was your sister’s midwife. She wrote me and asked me to pray. I was honored that she included me her request. I know personally the Lord’s peace and strength in times of trial. When all around us in this life fails to make any sense, the Lord still bring amazing peace to those who seek and trust Him. He has done this for me many times and I trust He will also do it for you and those who love you. I just wanted you to know that tonight I am bringing your name before His throne and asking Him to work His perfect will in your life. May He richly bless you and your family and bring you healing and peace.

In Christ’s Love,
    Beth Overton

16. Cindy Evans says:

Dear Ryan,

Prayers are being sent from the U of C. Ashley has shared your web page with us. I’m sure you know how loved that you are but it’s nice to know that you’re thought of from far away. Congrats on the birth of Logan. May God continue to Bless you with miracles! Love, Cindy Evans

17. Judy david says:

Dear Ryan and Andrea…..congratulations on the birth of your new baby boy! What a blessing for your family…he already looks like he is growing by leaps and bounds! My
    counseling center has created a prayer chain…extending to many churches in our small community….we pray for you daily in hopes that you will continue to have the faith, courage and love that this website shares…when I talk to my own clients, I remind them….of course…like the little book I give out….don’t sweat the small stuff! Love aunt Judy

18. Sarah says:

Saw this today and thought of you…

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.”

Henry Ford

19. Amy says:

Hi Ryan,

I recently heard about you from a friend of mine, and just got un update from her today, and found this website! I was really happy to find it :)

I’m praying for you and your family very hard…I can’t imagine how hard this is, how bad you’re struggling. But I do know that our Lord knows! He knows your very name, He knows you from beginning to end. He knows every single thing about you, and He knows what you’re going through right now. It’s hard sometimes…in some of the difficult situations I’ve gone through, I’ve battled seeing God in my trial…my tribulation. I sometimes just cried out to God, “Why??? Whats the purpose of this??”
    But finally I realised I had to surrender it all to Him. His ways are way above our ways. We can never begin to try and understand Him.
    I don’t know why He’s allowed you and your family to go through this. I wish I knew so I could tell you. But I do know that He has a plan, even though it seems like there IS NO PLAN! Jesus is holding your hand…even though you might not see Him…you might not feel Him. But He’s right there Ryan. I believe that with all my heart!!! You’re not going through this alone. You’ve got the Lord on your side! Your family and friends are around you, giving support. There are many around the world who are praying for you. Nothing is impossible with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!!!!! Nothing, nothing, nothing, NOTHING!!

Keep holding onto that Hand Ryan…don’t ever let go, no matter how hard it gets. Jesus will be your strength when you just can’t go on. He’ll be your comfort when there’s nothing to hold on to…

I’m praying really hard for you, and I’ve sent around prayer requests to my friends and family. Only believe, all things are possible, only believe 😉

Blessings,
    Amy

*Jesus is Holding My Hand – Doug Anderson*

Verse 1:
    Today I am walking by smooth flowing streams
    And resting in pastures so peaceful and green
    But what makes this valley so precious to me
    Jesus is holding my hand

Verse 2:
    If tomorrow this valley turns cloudy and dark
    With a storm blowing through to the depths of my heart
    I won’t be afraid though the way may be hard
    Jesus is holding my hand

Chorus:
    I can smile in the sunshine, be safe in the rain
    There’s light for each step on the path
    For the one thing I’m sure of, that never will change
    Jesus is holding my hand

Verse 3:
    Beside this deep valley’s a mountain so high
    Fear fills my heart, as the tears sting my eyes
    I know he’s with me, so we start to climb
    Jesus is holding my hand

Verse 4:
    Mountaintop blessings are still up ahead
    Soon I will see why the narrow road’s best
    I am so thankful with each struggling step
    Jesus is holding my hand

Chorus:
    There’s hope in the heartache, and joy in the pain
    There’s light for each step on the path
    For the one thing I’m sure of, that never will change
    Jesus is holding my hand

For the one thing I’m sure of, that never will change
    Jesus is holding my hand…

GOD BLESS YOU!!!! :)

20. Renee Levasseur says:

I pray for you and your family every night. God does still perform miracles, as He is the same Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. I’m waiting to hear news of your recovery as God is the Great Healer. You and your family as sooo strong. I will never stop praying for all of you.

Renee (Lisa’s Aunt)

21. EMMYLYNN CORONEL says:

Ryan-

I hope you got my cheesy youtube video…I was a little puffy-eyed after reading your blog on Monday morning, but for you, I’ll look puffy on video 😉

Everyday you inspire me to be a better person, to live better, and to put life in general into perspective. As I mentioned in my video, I have always had good things to say about you. You were always so kind to me and to others, never heard a bad thing about you. You are genuine, kind, and loving… and this is why I want to help you along this journey. With some “celebrity” help, I’m hoping the message is sent out to fans around the world, and that someone out there will make a donation… that was my goal =) I know a couple of my “Backstreet Boy” friends who you don’t even know have made a donation!! Amazing what social networking can do!

Continue to fight, Ryan… even when you feel like you’re going to lose… KEEP FIGHTING!!! I’m fighting right with you!!

xoxo

22. Craig says:

Hi Ryan,
    I work with Jodi Ralston at McLaren and was introduced to tour website recently. I believe we have a couple things in common. My wife and I have a five year old son and we are expecting our second (a girl) in 6 days. Like you I love being a Husband and Father and dreamed of being both long before they occurred. I can’t even begin to imagine what this experience must be like for you and your family. I just wanted to let you know what an encouragement you have been for me. We can not begin to understand what plans our Creator has for our lives and at times things that occur make no sense to us, but God has a plan that is so much larger than our lives. I am encouraged by your faith, strength, and attitude. I can see you are impacting many people you don’t even know by your website, I know it has affected me.
    We recently memorized John 3:16 with our son: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. What an awsome concept! Our time here is so short but we all have the opportunity to spend eternity with family, friends and God himself.
    You have encouraged me through this website. If I could say anything to encourage you it would be to keep up your faith, strength, and Love. We will be praying for you and your family.
    Sincerely,
    Craig

23. Rebekah says:

Just wanted you to know that I receive your dads weekly email devotions and I am praying for you. I cant imagine how you and your wife must feel some days but I do know for certain that our Heavenly Father is watching over you and your precious and will see you through the mountain tops and the valleys. Praying for you!

24. Patricia Briones says:

Praying for you and your family every day. Please read this article. God bless.

25. Ashley Menetre (Bryant) says:

I fight with you!! Be brave, be strong :)

26. Renee Levasseur (Sister to Jan Davis) says:

You and your family are in my prayers. I pray nightly for God to heal you completely. I also pray that God fills you with the Holy Spirit and keeps you strong in His faith.

27. Ingrid says:

To Ryan and family. We have never met but my sister Mary directed me to your site and shared with me the struggle you face. My heart is touched by your courage, your strength and your love of family. I, like many others, pray for you and your family as God’s plan unfolds for you. Thank you for all that your words mean to me. I have been deeply moved by them.

28. Fr. Bill Easton says:

Ryan,
    You and your family are in my prayers. May our all loving Father bring about great signs and works in and through you.
    Lovingly,
    Fr. Bill

29. Tammy says:

Ryan, Someone at work posted your golf outing on our daily news letter and I looked up your web site. Your story has come to me on a day I really needed it. My husband and I are going through a very hard and troubling (substance abuse) custody battle with his ex-wife and today I decided I have had enough, I wanted to throw in the towel on our marriage and family (we also have a 7 month old son together). I read the story about your love for your wife and children and it brought tears to me eyes and made take a long look at my Husband and see what truly a wonderful man he is. Nobody fights alone can be used in my situation as well, he should have me by his side fighting hard for our childs saftey. I thank you for you encourging words and I thank God for letting me read this today. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

30. Tim Storch says:

Ryan,
    Hard to believe so many years have passed and something as terrible as this brings us into contact. As you probably are aware, an “old fart” like me doesn’t do facebook so I’m not as connected as I once was, especially now that I’m retired from Athens and living up at our lake house north of Alpena. I wish I could be of some comfort… it was always easy for me to give inspirational pre game speeches, but no words can express my heartfelt feelings for you and your family. I always tried to teach/preach that life and sports are not fair. That may be the best message I can send you. There is nothing profound in my words to you – just fond memories of the young man I had the pleasure to coach and share so many great memories with. I am very proud to hear of the man you grew up to be and hope that I played some small role in the outstanding individual you are today! God works in mysterious ways…so many of life’s questions go uanswered while we are here on earth. However, our faith instills us with the belief that our hardest questions will someday be revealed with clear, simple answers. You are in my mind, my heart, and my soul and I will pray for you and your family. Please know the impact you have made on so many people. I believe life is measured best by the number of people you have touched and impacted. By that standard, you are and always will be a champion on and off the field!
    God be with you, Coach

31. Jim Scott says:

Ryan,
    As I was reading my Bible and the study notes to Mark 9:29, I thought of you. The notes say “Prayer demonstrates our reliance on God as we humbly invite him to fill us with faith and power. There is no substitute for prayer, especially in circumstances that seem impossible.” We will continue to pray for you.

Jim

32. Cindy says:

Hi Ryan. This is an amazing page! We do not know each other, but I wanted you to know that I joined your prayer warriors the other day. I am praying for you and your family that you find peace knowing that so many people love and care for you. Keep your heart in God’s hands and everything will work out! I wish I could help monetarily, but unfortunately I am currently laid off, but I just want you to know that I am praying for you all every day! God Bless!

33. Jamie says:

“Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us”
    -Samuel Smiles

34. Brenda says:

You are a much stronger person than you think and have over come such large obstacles already! Continue marching forward daily toward conquering this disease. Both you and the family are in my prayers.

35. Ryan, you probably don’t remember me (I am Mark Stepek’s nephew by marriage) – even so you are in my prayers and wanted to let you know how inspiring you, your family and your spirit are. As a cancer survivor myself, I have some minor appreciation of what you are going through. I just read your last posting – you have exactly the right spirit to beat this thing – and on the way you are grounding others on what is truly important. All my prayers are with you!

36. Leann says:

I just think about you so much. I am still here hoping and praying for you and your
    family. God be with you.

37. Samantha says:

Dear Ryan-
    This past weekend I participated in the Cycle for Survival on team Chicas Against Cancer. As our morning session ended and your afternoon session began, I saw your team getting ready for the event. As if the event wasn’t powerful and emotional enough, seeing your strength and passion as I left is something I will never forget. You truly are an inspiration and I don’t have the words to express how impactful this past weekend was for me. I wish you and your family all the best! Kick this angiosarcoma’s butt and I look forward to not just eves dropping on you but meeting you at next year’s ride!!!
    -Sam

• RyanHumphrey says:

Sam,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I wish you would have said hello! I love meeting new people; especially those sharing such a passionate and emotional event with me. I, too, look forward to meeting you next year at Cycle. I am a lifer now! I hope to have multiple teams next year. It is such an amazing event. More importantly, every single person in the room is inspirational, dedicated, and amazing! I hope to hear from you again! Let me know if you ever need anything.

Your friend,

Ryan

38. Uncle John & Aunt Barbara says:

Hi Ryan.
    You are truly a gift from God. We are all searching for reasons for being on this earth but I believe you have found one of your purposes at a very young age. Your words make most of us come to tears but not tears of sorrow. They are tears of hope, compassion, understanding, joy and love. You have made all of us realize how much we really have in our own lives and no matter our individual issues, complaints or problems. You have the strength very few of us will ever realize in this short span of time we call life.
    One day down the road, when your beautiful sons are old enough to understand, YOU and Andrea will read your beautiful words of wisdom to your sons, Logan & Landon and they too will be inspired and proud of their daddy just as we are today.
    You will come through this operation because God wants you to continue helping and being an inspiration to so many others and to pursue your career in medicine. THIS WILL HAPPEN!
    God bless you and your family. Our nightly prayers and the prayers of so many will get you through this next bump in the road.
    With great love and admiration,
    Uncle John & Aunt Barbara….. :)

39. Peter Theune says:

Dear Andrea and Ryan,
    The message is straight forward: my prayers are for you and with you both. May courage, strength, confidence, hope, possibility, grace, and love surround you this day in the hours, days, weeks, months and years to come.
    The very Spirit of God embraces you this day – this moment.
    Peace,
    Pete (from your Bluebird family)

40. Mary Manning says:

Ryan
    I remember you as a hard working athlete,with a passion for life back when you were in high school. The work ethic and positive attidude you had then, has carried over in to your adult life. You have a beautiful family. Your family and you are in my thoughts and prayers as you continue to fight.

41. Cheryl O says:

Hi Ryan, we have never met and I read some of your blogs and after I read one I want to read another and another! You are such an incredibly strong man with an amazing wife and 2 lovely little men by your side. I lost my dad to ASC on May 9,2011 on my moms birthday. I was daddy’s little girl and losing him at the you g age of 64 tore my heart in 2. I have 2 young boys – age 6 & 4. I had a big long blurb written but I wasn’t right haha so now I say – keep fighting like you are and keep loving your family! You are a true inspiration. I will keep you all in my prayers!

42. Jack says:

I’m following your blog online. Keeping you and your beautiful family in my prayers.

43. Jac says:

Keep fighting, Ryan! So many are praying for you and your loved ones. God bless you all.

44. Briones Fam. says:

The LORD is my light and my salvation — whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life — of whom shall I be afraid? — Psalm 27:1
    Dear Lord, we ask that you be with Ryan & his family, who need your palpable presence as they fight their battles. Please give them strength. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

45. Jean says:

It’s funny how a few positive words in this world can make such a difference. While I’m not battling something that’s life threatening, it could be life changing, but your words of hope and encouragement to continue to move forward and not live in the past are powerful and timely. You and your beautiful family are the epitome of strength and your optimism is absolutely infectious! I’ve been able to find comfort in your words and positive praises of this world and what it has to offer. I’m grateful that you were willing to open up and share your story and am forever changed by the grace you’ve shown through this journey. I’ll never stop praying, as I know you’ll never stop fighting. Blessings be given to you all!